Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Revenge of the Science Fair

When I was in school, I may have done two Science Fair projects, mostly under protest. I really hated Science Fair projects because they seemed so contrived.

Of course, now that my daughter attends a school focused on math and science, she has to do a Science Fair project every year. She even had to project as a pre-schooler while she was there. Come on, she could barely read and write.

I'm sure you can guess what this means: My wife and I were doing these projects and explaining them to our daughter. Now our daugther is in 2nd grade, and while she can read and write, we are still helping her with the process and helping her with creating the project board. Well, we actually created the board for her.

Last year, "we" got an "A". This year, my wife feels that "we" deserve an "A". I just think this whole process is sort of a Karmic payback for my lazy-student ways of high school.

Damn the justifiable retribution.

Post a Comment

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now I know what is wrong with this country. Parents doing homework for their kids. Great, why not take her tests for her???

Having been in over 6 science fairs (going to state twice, taking 3rd over all on Soybean the wonder bean). I can tell you I had funny doing it all. My parents never helped me, and it forced me to be more creative. You could tell all the kids who's parents did it for them. What did they get out of it?

Let you daughter do her own stuff at her own level. If she can't do it, then she can't do it. If you do it for her, you are just teaching her that it is alright to cheat, lie, steal, and not give a dam because someone else will do it for her.

5:11 AM  
Blogger Michael M. Davis said...

Getting parents involved in their children's schoolwork is a good way to reinforce the importance of regular practice as a means of learning new material. Parental involvement is a necessary aspect of child development. Consider the impact of the child's household environment on cognitive growth. Are parent's taking an interest in the schoolwork or leaving a child to sit in front of the television?

If anything, we should bemoan the inattentive and uninterested parent. Sure, parental involvement has the potential to limit the learning experience, but so does complete disinterest. There's a delicate balance where the parent can become a facilitator to the learning experience. As parents, my wife and I have worked to maintain that balance.

By the way, what's up with South African airlines?

2:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

While I agree with you that we should "bemoan the inattentive and uninterested parent" you are doing the WORSTE thing possible for your daughter. Doing her work just teaches her that she doesn't have to do anything, because someone else will do it for her.

I look it at it like the innocent Santa Claus lie. Most parents teach their kids about Santa and use it as "be good or else" type of tool. But the only thing I took away from the Santa lie, was that my parents lied to me, and when the told me not to lie, I view that as a lie.

Same with doing her homework/science project. Its not about winning or getting an A, its about her learning, which will give her a better chance in life.

And what about South African Airways they are everywhere like I am....

12:22 AM