Friday, October 29, 2004

I'm hearing voices

Not in a bad way, though. Have you ever seen the show called Connections by James Burke? The shows are like stream of consciousness with scientific advancements. Occassionally, that sort of connection happens that links otherwise unrelated things through general thought processes. The internet allows, and probably facilitates, those connections.

So, what about the voices? Well, let me start by saying that I was looking up _The Blues Brothers_ as part of a radio contest. Of course, I ended up at the Internet Movie Database looking at information about Frank Oz. As a Star Wars fan, I knew that he was the voice of Yoda, and I remembered that he was the voice of Miss Piggy. I didn't realize the extent of his vocal talents within the various roles of the Muppets. I knew he directed some movies, too, but didn't know the number. Very impressive.

So, that led me to consider the career of the other Frank: Frank Welker. I remember Frank Welker from _Aladdin_ as the monkey, Abu, and other movies and TV shows, usually as animal voices. I didn't know that he has been the only voice of Fred from the Scooby Doo cartoons, he voiced many of the Transformers, many of the Gremlins, some of the Smurfs, and the list goes on and on. There are 423 listings for voice credits dating back to 1962. Check it out. If you were a kid in the 80's, Frank Welker was there for almost everything. More recently, he did some vocal work on _Family Guy_, which led me too...

Phil LaMarr. Phil LaMarr has done some vocal work on _Family Guy_, but I was very, VERY surprised to find out that he is the voice of Samarai Jack, AND was Marvin in _Pulp Fiction_. You remember Marvin, right? He got his face shot off by Vincent Vega (John Travolta). He's had a fairly extensive career in just the past 15 years. Best of all, there's a Star Wars connection there, too.

Post a Comment

0 Comments: