Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Knit picking

When I was a kid -- maybe seven or so -- my sisters decided to take up knitting. They are both older than me, and I jumped on the bandwagon. The three of us went to knitting classes not too far from our house, but eventually, I gave it up. I think I may have finished a scarf, but that was about it.

I hadn't really thought about knitting until this past year, when my wife started to crochet baby blankets for a number of her friends. She's finished two or three blankets for expectant mothers, and she's planning a few more. She's also looking to create a rug for my brother and his wife. So, my wife and I would end up at Michaels or Hancock Fabrics for her raw materials: yarn and crochet hooks. This past month, while on one of these yarn buying excursions, I thought about taking up knitting again, but I definitely wanted to keep it to myself. Today, in a Chicago Tribune article, a trend of men knitting is addressed. It's almost surreal that I would come across this article so soon after I had started knitting again, and the article mentions Russell Crowe and Laurence Fishburne as knitters. Suddenly, I'm struck with the image of Morpheus saying: "Neo, you must knit two, purl two to create the ribbing pattern." Okay, I admit that it was funnier in my head.

My sister, Theresa, has consistently knitted since she first started. She's made a few fairly intricate blankets for our mother and my daughter. I doubt that I would ever be that involved, but then again, I hadn't thought that I would take it up again at all.

Post a Comment

4 Comments:

Blogger Theresa said...

Actually, I knitted as much as you did. I think I finished a scarf, also, but then stopped knitting. I've been crocheting since shortly after we moved to Chicago. I ran out of people to make afghans for, so now I make other things (bookmarks, doilies, sweaters, hot pads, sachets, whatever). Right now I'm making a summer sweater for myself out of crochet thread. When I'm finished with that, I'm going to finish the sweater I started for Mom over a year ago (most of the front and back are already finished). She can take it back with her after she visits. We can only send packages that are smaller than a VHS tape.

5:15 AM  
Blogger Michael M. Davis said...

Great, now my mother will have people thinking that I'm mentally unstable and in need of therapy. Sure, many people probably would come to that conclusion on their own, but there's no need to have everyone thinking it.

8:44 AM  
Blogger Michael said...

You ARE mentally unstable. Turn in your man card. Go buy some power tools and be a man for pete's sake!!!! Men do not KNIT. We build with wood, metal, maybe clay. BUT NO KNITTING allowed. (cooking is acceptable and encourage, extra points for using a BBQ).

Get off your buttocks and fix the apartment you are in. Did you ever put the heat/ac vent in Mikala's room?????

3:18 AM  
Blogger Michael M. Davis said...

Alright, I'm going to resist the urge to just delete your comment, Mike.

I wasn't ever issued a man card, but maybe I just got in the wrong line.

I HAVE power tools, and I already put the vent in the kid's room. And for your further information, I installed light fixtures on the porch, which necessitated running the wire through the conduit. This past year, I also helped Donald cut and lay tile in their new kitchen.

I'm willing to put my "man" credentails on the line here. I lettered in Football and Basketball in high school, and played two years of Division II football in college. I can fix the house, and, oh yeah, I can lay some pipe. Wink, wink. I'm certain that I deserve the respect a man should receive, knitting or not.

I hope that doesn't come off like I'm bitter or hostile, I was really trying to be funny.

5:30 PM